Thursday, April 2, 2009

What the internet means for...everything.

Haha, wow, my old blog! Just how I remember it. Let me dust off the post button reeeal quick. Yup, still works.

Okay, so I've been thinking lately about the Internet, and because I consider myself a big picture person (I like to consider systems as a whole), I've been thinking about the big picture of the Internet. And, ladies and gentlemen, it's a mess.

The Internet is a mess. Virtually every aspect of the Internet is poorly understood and, therefore, poorly managed - the way we access it , regulate it, pay for it, view it, make money on it, control identity with it, communicate through it. Maybe I'm being melodramatic, but can you predict the outcome of any one of these problems we're facing right now? I know I can't. But sure, we're starting to figure out what works and what doesn't.

So what? Well, so a lot of things. For example, as an individual, using the Internet means walking in a reputation minefield. You know that scene in Grease where the news of Rizzo's unexpected pregnancy beats her back from the bathroom? Well, it's like that, except worse. My generation often treats the Internet like its own private social forum, but in reality the information is transparent and easy to share. Organizations have as much (if not more) to worry about than individuals; "isolated incidents" that once flew under the radar of big media can now blow up faster than alka-seltzer in a seagull.

And if you're not messing up your reputation online, your organization is probably, at best, basking in the mediocrity of its lifeless Web page. Which is fine. But it's no way to drive traffic, command attention or make money.

How can you use the Internet to its full potential?

1. Consider your goals as an organization. Could an organzational Web site or involvement in social media help you achieve those goals?

2. Consider your audience. What are they like?

3. Consider the value of your content. If you're a corporation, people aren't going to visit your page to view your canned advertorial content. There'd better be something to worthwhile to your readers - attention is difficult to keep.

4. Update! Content must timely or no one will care.

Later I'll talk more about how you can engage the online audience. In the meantime, to my readers (if there are any of you) - how has the Internet affected the way you consume media?

No comments: